What are the new features in DaVinci Resolve 18.6 released on September 15, 2023?
Although 18.5 → 18.6 is a minor version upgrade at first glance, it includes many functional enhancements that are comparable to major version upgrades.
About DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
Notes before installation
In DaVinci Resolve 18.6, we made the project library compatible with DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4. This made the project library accessible in 18.1.4 as well, but individual projects created or opened in 18.6 are no longer accessible in 18.1.4.
We recommend a full backup of the project library and an individual backup of the project before opening the project in 18.6.
- New Blackmagic Camera cloud workflow syncs captures to cloud projects
- Supports Blackmagic Cloud Storage for syncing project media and files
- Automatic generation of proxy and upload to Blackmagic Cloud Storage
- Supports outer text strokes in titles and subtitles
- Ability to assign and apply your favorite keywords to clips and markers
- Support for Fusion USD scenes including materials and volumes
- Import multiple mono audio files with suffixes as multichannel clips
- Support for target audio loudness standards when rendering
cut and edit
- Selected sync bin clips can now be edited in the inspector
- Support for trimming gaps during editing with Speed Editor and Editor Keyboard
- Added project and timeline interlacing options for editing at frame or field boundaries
- Supports uppercase and lowercase letters in subtitles
- Supports border around text in title and subtitle
- Added copy and paste functionality for markers in source viewer and timeline
- Added the ability to select multiple clips and change their speed at once from the dialog and inspector.
- Adding effects to a clip now switches the Inspector to the Effects tab.
- Added option to select material resolution when rendering and performing replacement
- Improved playhead position to be restored when undoing an editing operation
- Added option to show timecode toolbar in Edit Viewer
- Show marker clip extents in source viewer
- Added the ability to set actions to switch recently viewed clips and timelines in the viewer
- Supports keyboard customization for context actions on multiple tracks
- Supports the ability to reformat multiple selected timelines
- Supports the ability to assign and apply your favorite keywords to clips and markers
- Improved the ability to display both curves in the retime curve context menu.
- Supports extrusion and chamfering of 3D shapes
- Supports polygon shape tools
- Supports rendering of USD scenes containing materials and volumes
- Supports the ability to replace materials with imported MaterialX files
- Supports imported camera and light changes
- Improved USD toolset including uVisibility and uVariant
- Improved USD loader with support for trim, loop, and reverse
- New scene tree dialog for object selection in USD
- Added context menu option to reset tool trim in node view and keyframe view
- Added DaVinci Intermediate conversion option for Fusion tools
- Supports Dolby Vision CM 4.0 L1 analysis and user-selected filtering
- Support for stereoscopic 3D with Dolby Vision workflow
- Supports option to bypass input color management for RAW clips in RCM
- Supports audio monitoring in Resolve Live mode
- Added new option to export only .drx files when exporting still images
- Supports new default smart filter for clips in current group
- Added configurable action to toggle recently viewed timelines in viewer
- Added ability to create smart filters with custom PAR values
- Supports ACES DCTL ODT output color space tags
- Improved controls to toggle wipe mode from advanced panels
- Improved all keyframe modes, color modes, and size modes to persist across sessions
- Multiple mono audio files with suffix can now be imported as multichannel clips
- Added ability to select target audio loudness standard when rendering
- You can now select the loudness standard for YouTube and Disney workflows
- Added new Fairlight FX loudness meter that can monitor multiple busses
- Supports a function to intelligently abbreviate long channel names
- Supports panning presets for 3D audio height control
- Supports up to 3 parallel bus sends and outputs per bus style
- Supports autosafe and autooff on multiple trucks or buses
- Manage audio FX for multiple tracks or buses with keyboard shortcuts
- Supports keyboard customization for multiple track context actions
- Supports UWA Audio Vivid 3D spatial audio format
- Added support for assigning default settings for Fairlight FX from the context menu of the effects dialog.
- Accelerate Neural Engine performance by up to 2x with Nvidia TensorRT
- Accelerate Neural Engine performance by up to 4x with the latest AMD GPUs
- Added ability to access Blackmagic Cloud services using HTTPS proxy
- Improved quick access to recent projects from the application menu
- Changed to detect and loop if a range exists during loop playback
- Supports import/export of rendering presets and data burn presets using script API
- Script API supports still loading and power grade listing
- Supports Resolve color management on a timeline basis using script API
- General performance and stability improvements
Media and codecs
- Compatible with Blackmagic RAW SDK 3.4
- Compatible with RED SDK 8.4.0
- Supports Apple Log video format
- Supports Sony XAVC H and XAVC HS clip decoding function
- Added ability to delete unused media from projects
- New media pool column and smart bin filter for transcription status
- Added the ability to right-click to add media pool timelines to the render queue with presets.
- Added the ability to import/export power bins as .drb files.
- Added the ability to import and export rendering presets
- Supports loading multiple XML, AAF, FCP XML, and EDL as one action
- Final Cut Pro v1.11 Supports XML import and export
- Support for encoding interlaced formats as uncompressed QuickTime clips
- Accelerate H.265 interlaced encoding on modern Windows Intel systems
- Supports option to render individual clips with full media extents
- Supports low-latency AAC format decoding on Mac
- Supports GIF clip decoding
- Supports lens and vignette metadata for Nikon raw clips
Mac OS minimum system requirements
macOS 12 Monterey
8 GB system memory.
Blackmagic Design Desktop Video version 12.0 or later
when using Fusion Integrated or discrete GPU with minimum 2 GB VRAM.
A GPU that supports Metal or OpenCL 1.2.
Windows minimum system requirements
Windows 10 Creators Update.
16 GB system memory.
Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or later
when using Fusion Integrated or discrete GPU with 2 GB or more VRAM GPU
supporting OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11
– as required by GPU
Linux minimum system requirements
Rocky Linux 8.6 or CentOS 7.3
32 GB of system memory
Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or later
Discrete GPU with at least 2 GB of VRAM GPU
that supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11
– as required by GPU
How to install DaVinci Resolve software on Mac
Double-click the DaVinci Resolve Installer icon and follow the on-screen instructions. Double-click the Uninstall Resolve icon to remove DaVinci Resolve from your system.
How to install DaVinci Resolve software on Windows
Double-click the DaVinci Resolve installer icon and follow the on-screen instructions. To remove DaVinci Resolve from your system, select DaVinci Resolve in the Programs and Features control panel, click Uninstall, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Migrating Legacy Fairlight Projects to DaVinci Resolve on Windows
To import legacy Fairlight DR2 projects into DaVinci Resolve, download and install the following utility on your Windows system. downloads.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Fairlight-Project-Importer.zip After installing the utility, you will see an “Import Fairlight Project” option in DaVinci Resolve's Fairlight menu.
Installing DaVinci Resolve software on Linux
Double-click the DaVinci Resolve installer and follow the on-screen instructions. To remove DaVinci Resolve from your system, select the uninstall option after running the installer.
For support details, including certified driver versions for third-party hardware, please refer to the latest DaVinci Resolve Configuration Guide for your platform. www.blackmagicdesign.com/support.
You will also need to download and install the latest Blackmagic Design Desktop Video software for monitoring with Blackmagic Design video hardware. Desktop Video at www.blackmagicdesign.com/support.
© 2001-2023 Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd. All rights reserved. Blackmagic Design, Blackmagic, DeckLink, Multibridge, Intensity, H.264 Pro Recorder and “Leading the creative video revolution” are trademarks of Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd., registered in the US and other countries. Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects and Adobe Photoshop are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems. Avid Media Composer and Avid Pro Tools are registered trademarks of Avid. Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, and Apple Soundtrack Pro are registered trademarks of Apple Computer.
Updated on September 14, 2023
Supported codec details
The translation of this article is based on the translation from www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) and has been partially revised.